Tuesday 5 June 2007

Monday in Heswall and Liverpool

Today has been a pretty quiet day by comparison with recent days. I decided to spend the morning in the hotel doing some work on a paper that is currently in press and to which the reviewers have requested some alterations. I had decided to into Liverpool in the afternoon, but needed to detour to a Post Office to get some parcels weighed for sending back to Australia. I decided to take the train into Liverpool from Hoylake and therefore took the parcels to Hoylake Post Office before catching the train.

I spent about 2 hours in Liverpool. I visited the docks, the Liver Building and the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board Building before heading up into the city centre to go to the shops. The weather had returned to sunny and 24 degrees after last night's deluge, so I sat outside to eat some fresh fruit for my lunch (bought at Marks and Spencer). England is certainly turning on some excellent conditions for my visit.

I returned back to the hotel at 4.00pm and Uncle Jack arrived at 6.00pm to take me to his favourite restaurant for dinner. We had a magnificent meal which for me included a toffee meringue with praline ice cream for dessert. I will have to go on a week's fast after I return to Australia, I fear, to lose some of the weight I have gained on this trip. Naturally, I don't need to have desserts all the time, but they are so delicious!

No comments: